The Week At Bethlehem
SUSPENDED - Bethlehem Community Library
August 6, 2020 11:30 am - 2:00 pm
VIRTUAL Tai Chi Practice
August 7, 2020 9:00 am - 10:00 am
SUSPENDED - Bethlehem Community Library
August 11, 2020 2:30 pm - 5:00 pm
Executive Committee Meeting
August 11, 2020 6:15 pm - 7:00 pm
SUSPENDED - Yoga
August 11, 2020 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
August 11, 2020 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
SUSPENDED - Scraps and Prayers
August 12, 2020 8:30 am - 11:30 am
VIRTUAL - Tai Chi Practice
August 12, 2020 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
SUSPENDED - High School Youth
August 12, 2020 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Virtual Evening Devotion and Bethlehem Cafe
August 12, 2020 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
News & Notes updated 5/5/2020
A Treasurer’s Report as of May 2020 will be available here soon.
The “State of the Congregation” by the Pastor Laura and Pastor Sam from the May 2020 newsletter can be found here.
- Women’s Retreat, May 1-3
- Adventure Ministry, May 16
- Synod Assembly, May 28-30
- Vacation Bible School, June 29 – July 2
- Summer Trip, August 1-8
- Tanzania Trip, August 27 – Sept. 3
“Virtual” Opportunities for Worship, Devotion, Education and Engagement :
- Sunday Morning Worship: We have been overjoyed to provide worship to you each Sunday morning. As pastors it is our greatest joy each week, and our music staff feels the same. Thank you for your kind comments and the “Peace be with you” that echoes throughout North County. Worship is certainly one of the common things holding us all up. Currently, there are only 5 of us in the sanctuary recording worship and our safety protocol is very strict. As restrictions and protocol change, worship will change, until we can all be together again. Meanwhile we can feel the Spirit move through it all.
- Wednesday Evening Devotion: Beginning Wednesday, May 6 we will be offering a short evening devotion to gather us all mid-week. It will be hosted on Zoom and the link will be provided in a separate e-blast. This devotion will be followed by Bethlehem Cafe, an opportunity to see each other’s faces and connect in small breakout groups.
- Theology on Tap: Beginning Monday, May 11th through Monday June 1st, we will begin a virtual Theology on Tap. You are invited to bring your own beverage of choice. The theme of the class will be Lutheranism 101. This will be an opportunity to connect with each other and ask important faith questions at the same time.
- Centering Prayer: If you would like to join in Centering Prayer on Mondays from 4:30 – 6 pm by Zoom, please contact the church office: firstname.lastname@example.org You will be able to join online from your computer, tablet or smart phone. Centering prayer is an opportunity for group guided meditation and prayer with a skilled facilitator. Everyone is welcome.
- Qigong/Tai chi: The weekly Qigong/Tai chi practices at our church will be available by Zoom. You will be able to join online from your computer on Wednesdays at 6 pm. Also, Chacha is having a Friday at 9 am practice by Zoom. These practices are moving meditation practices that focus on relaxation, breath, and visualization while carrying out gentle movements. Everyone is welcome, no previous experience is necessary. If you are interested in joining please e-mail Chacha at email@example.com. Please let her know which of the practices or if you would like to be invited to both practices. She will send an e-mail invitation with the zoom link.
- Learn American Sign Language: The Westmoreland family is hosting Zoom meetings where you can learn and practice American Sign Language. If you would like to join the fun, contact Suzi at firstname.lastname@example.org
Opportunities to Give and Serve…
- Bethlehem Cares Fund: We have an existing fund to help members of Bethlehem with unexpected financial need. During this pandemic we are experiencing an increased need for these funds. If you would like to contribute, please contact Judy Foland in the church office or donate through the contribute link on the website.
- Enclosed Envelope: We thank you for your faithful support of this congregation. Please give whatever you can at this time.
- Navajo Nation: If you would like to contribute additional funds to help the Navajo Evangelical Lutheran Mission and the work they are doing on the Navajo reservation, please contact Judy Foland in the church office or donate through the contribute link on the website.
- Ocean Knoll: We are continuing to receive funds to support food need for vulnerable elementary school students and their families. Please contact Judy Foland in the church office or donate through the contribute link on the website.
Stephen Ministers are making phone calls to all our members in an effort to check in and see how everyone is doing. If you have any needs that we might be able to help with, please let us know. Our goal is to make certain we have reached everyone, at least once. If you have not heard from us, it is likely that we do not have a correct phone number for you. If you feel this might be you, please contact Judy Foland in the church office with a good phone number for you. 760-753-1026 or email@example.com
Coronavirus Update (3/16 – 5pm):
Beginning today, March 16 we will be closing the campus completely until we are instructed that it is safe to reopen. This includes worship and all gatherings and meetings. Both preschool programs are also closed. We will keep you updated on any changes. The church office voice mail will be monitored. Please feel free to call if you have any need. Pastor Sam and I are available by phone as well. The church office phone number is 760-753-1026. It is important to stay in touch at this time.
Virtual Worship Services: Worship is essential to who we are, and so deeply necessary in times like these. We will be recording Holden Evening prayer and Sunday morning worship and they will be available on the website (www.blcenc.org) and the church Facebook page. (www.facebook.com/BethlehemLutheranChurchEncinitasCA)
- Sunday morning worship will be available at 8:30 am Sunday. A bulletin will be created for the website as well. Bring bread and wine to your family table as we spread the grace of this meal around North County.
Bethlehem Women of the ELCA
Scholarships are available from the Women of Bethlehem as registration is $375, day registration is $200. Please contact Bobby Allen (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information from one who has attended this very affirming event in the past. Maybe rent a van to drive together??? Maybe rent a place together??? Lots of potential as Phoenix is so close. Think about it. Act!
Mission Action and Giving Tree Schedule 2020 – All through the year, the Giving Tree at the entrance of the church gives opportunities to help people. There are different projects with different leaders but the same heart.
- May – Mother’s Day Thankoffering (BWELCA) – Possible move to June due to COVID-19
- June – Center for Global Awareness (Dianne Nichols & Gail Winterbourne) – Cancelled COVID-19
- June 29 to July 15 – Vacation Bible School/Youth Camps & Service Trips (Constance Mithelman)
- July 16 to August 16 – Bethlehem Serves (Beth Nelson)
- August 17 thru September – Pajama Project Appeal (Belinda Simonini)
- September to October 15 – Lutheran World Relief Ingathering: Quilts & Blankets (Scraps and Prayers Quilting Group)
- October 16 thru November – Secret Santa (Cheryl Monreal)
- December – TBD
Music is an important part of worship at Bethlehem. Although, we have had to cancel our weekly rehearsals and live performance in June, we continue to connect through technology with choirs and musicians in our Bethlehem congregation and beyond. Our Good News Singers have had three “Sip and Sing” Zoom sessions where we are singing our favorite hymns and sharing inspirational readings. Recordings of those hymns are beginning to be shared with our congregation in our worship services. The Children’s choir recorded a special Easter message and will have another for Mother’s Day. We are reaching out to all musicians at Bethlehem who are willing to provide at-home videos of worship songs that can be used as special music in our weekly services. Please contact our Pastors or Mona Goetsch if you are interested in adding to our music.
Pastor Sam’s Sermon Blog – Did you miss one of Pastor Sam’s sermons? Want to double check if he actually said what you think he did? Accidentally fall asleep and want to go back and read the section you missed? Check out all of Pastor Sam’s sermons on his blog at: https://sinningboldlywithsam.wordpress.com/